Developing a self-care routine doesn’t mean you have to treat yourself to expensive luxuries and spend a lot of money. True self-care is more about listening to your mind, body AND budget and doing what works for you. It’s about showing yourself the love that you so freely give to everyone else and making the time to put yourself first. There are plenty of ways you can do this without breaking the bank.
Here are 5 Low to No Cost Self-care ideas that won’t mess up your budget.
- Read a good book: When was the last time you picked up a good book and read it just for fun? We get so busy with life that we rarely allow ourselves time for a cheap luxury like this. If you don’t have any books at home, hit up the library and check out some for free. Take a time out from all the mindless scrolling on your phone and curl up on the couch with a good book instead. Reading is a great way to temporarily escape and unwind after a long day and the best part is, it’s totally free.
- Dance Your Heart Out: There is something to be said about blasting some music and having a dance party in your own kitchen. Make an uplifting playlist and set aside a time each day to get your body moving and your blood pumping. Allow yourself the space to be silly and free of judgment. Don’t worry about looking goofy, just let yourself feel the music and take note of how it shifts your mood. Dancing is a beautiful form of self-care and a great way to destress and give yourself a bit of fun.
- Volunteer at an Animal Shelter: Take time to visit and/or volunteer at a local animal shelter. Being in service to others, animal friends included, is one of the most powerful forms of self-care. You’re allowing yourself the time to do something you enjoy, free of charge, while contributing to the greater good. Spending time with all those cute fur babies while helping your community out in the process – that’s a win-win in my book.
- Listen to a Podcast: No matter what topics you’re interested in – business, sports, entertainment, politics, self-help – you name it, there is a podcast out there to cover it. Podcasts have become one of the most popular ways to consume information today. It’s a great way to broaden your perspective and learn something new in the process. Plus, it’s completely free, so plug in your earbuds and listen to your hearts content.
- Waste Time: There’s no shame in allowing yourself time for pure entertainment. Binge watch your favorite show on Netflix, play a video game or put on some YouTube videos that make you laugh. Put down your to-do list for once. We get so caught up in being productive ALL the time that we forget to stop and have a little fun. Clear your schedule and do something that makes YOU happy, just for the sake of doing it.
You don’t need a lot of money to have a successful self-care routine. These are just a few of the many ways you can keep your money in the bank, while taking care of yourself in the process.